Sunday, October 12, 2008

Apologia, etc.

So my nephew attends this Anglican/Episcopalian high school and he's taking this Bible course on New Testament. I figure that's a good thing since the Bible is the one of the pillars of Western Civilization. But then he tells me before we're heading off to church that his Bible instructors are telling him that the Bible was written by man, so therefore it has mistakes and errors in it. And I thought to myself, "Why is Western Civilization in general and America specifically, backpedaling from the onslaught of rest of the unbelieving world?" You know why? Because they're steadliy aimed at the erosion of the foundations of the social order: the Bible. And y'know who's leading the way? The so-called leaders of Chirstianity! This verse sums up the matter I suppose:

Ephesians 2:1-3
And you has he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

The children of disobedience are not the ordinary, everyday heathen. The ordinary heathen are already under the curse of the Law. They are doing what their nature tells them to do. They obey the world, the flesh, and the Devil. The disobedient are the ones who are supposed to be on the Lord's side but who are set against the Lord's covenants. They are the people who have been taught the rudiments of godliness. They are the people who ought to know better but whose minds are set on spreading the latest flawed biblical criticism to impress their students, etc., etc.

Yeesh!

I wanted to scream when I heard my nephew tell me this. So I said to my 10th grade nephew, after gathering my composure, the next time you're in class ask your professor this:

"Professor, if the Bible is flawed because it was written by men, by your own criteria - your telling me this is a verbal opinion written by men , isn't it? How do I know you're not wrong? You're a man - they were men. And there's another thing that puzzles me, prof. The Bible claims it was written by men led of God to say what it says - but you're not claiming to be led by God in saying what you're saying. So why wouldn't I believe the Bible's testimony rather than yours? It's got 2,000 years of living, active support and use. You're quoting biblical critics from only 200 years ago, right? I do want to be on God's side, professor. What should I do?


The scholarly support for inerrant autographs is virtually substantiated. The Bible we have is solid, sound, and is everything it says about itself. Why? Because Jesus thought so, too.

Jesus frequently used the Scripture as the proof text from which He both substantiated His view, as well as refuted the improper views held by others. He relied on Scripture for what it was--the very Word of God. While it is true that Christians do not have the same Divine authority as the Son of God, and while we often overstep our authority here (unfortunately, even grossly so at times), this benefit is also extended to us. Based on Jesus' example, we can likewise build our position on the truth of Scripture, and use it as our Guide for evaluating other positions. A key aspect here, as already emphasized, is that this approach allows us to show the truth of Christian theism to unbelievers, even when using critical methods.


It is no wonder the Anglican church is having the problems it is having with the Enemy hammering continually at its gates.




No comments: