Friday, September 26, 2008

Baseball and Apologetics, etc.

Those of you that know me well, know I enjoy baseball. And this is my favorite time of the year. Hey, what's not to like? Pennant races, pennant chases, the drama. It is like the playoffs. But go figure, the Dodgers are in the playoffs - yeah, the Dodgers. So, it's a strange year right there. Rags to riches Tampa Bay is in. That's wild. The White Sox have imploded and the Minnesota Twins have overtaken them by a half game with three games to play. One of the two teams is staying home. The Mets aren't out of it, but they're moribund. The Milwaukee Brewers, hmm. I just can't figure out the Brew Crew. They could win nine in a row and lose nine in a row at the drop of a hat. The Angels and the Red Sox are still my choices for the ALCS. As are the Cubs and the Phillies in the NLCS. I'm picking the Cubs to beat the Red Sox 4 games to 2 in the World Series.


In other baseball news, my son made the Travel Ball Select All-America Honorable Mention team. (Yay!) We're so proud of him. The "Bambino" is on the national map now, and word comes from his coach that he has been nominated for the Rawlings Defensive Player of the Year Award, too. Congrats, Nile.


Since the beginning of the school year, I have been teaching apologetics to some homeschoolers in the metro Atlanta area and - I must say it - I am very impressed! The questions I get are intuitive and reasoned. Their responses are usually correct. These are some of the brightest kids in Atlanta for whom the "ontological argument for the existence of God" is encountered without raising an eyebrow. They've more or less absorbed most of the basic arguments of the apologetic task, so it is my job to immerse them further into the more sophisticated realms of the apologist's mein. It is on to Big Bang Cosmology, William Lane Craig, and Glenn Miller!

No comments: