Tuesday, May 27, 2008

John Milton, Star Gazing, etc.

John Milton
This year is the 400th aniversary of John Milton's birth. I don't think I ever read better verse than I read in Paradise Lost. I was only twelve, but became utterly fascinated by the concept of God, Lucifer, eternity, the kingdom of Heaven and the sequence of events leading to Creation and to the Fall of Adam and Eve. Made me even think for a millisecond that Lucifer had an argument. A millisecond, OK? (lol) Though some have criticised him as a "sensuous Puritan", Milton's influence was far and wide - felt even by Malcolm X! Mr. Rosenberg's article was an enlightening Tuesday morning read. And Paradise Lost is a highly recommended literary classic.


Star gazing
It is amazing what you can do with astronomical software. I also came across a very interesting website about the Bethlehem star and one man's quest to find it and the results of his findings. Do I believe in it? The star that is. Oh, yes I do. Approaching this from the standpoint of an abiding faith in the scriptural account and from pure unvarnished science, I'd say the case this lawyer makes is pretty compelling. It is entirely plausible for the Grand Designer of the universe to also use physical means to herald the arrival of His Son into the world. Check out the website here .


etc.,
My son is on a youth baseball team here in Atlanta that is probably one of the best in the country for his age group. I have been his coach since he was able to walk. I (we) are pretty competitive. OK, I take that back - we're very competitive. And I enjoy coaching him. But what has been hardest for me is to let him go and let others coach him who are uniquely qualified and gifted in this regard. To be a dad and a coach is very, very, hard. How Earl Woods did it with Tiger has to be - by itself - a singularly phenomenal accomplishment. So there was this guy, Tom Farrey, who interviewed me and my son for his ESPN story about youth sports a couple of years ago. The theme was, "How Young is Too Young?". He started out talking about Tiger Woods and his development, but his beef was against what modern youth sports have become. Among his many arguments was the belief that parents had taken over youth sports in large numbers around the country and were introducing competition at a premature stage of childhood development - the results of which we Americans may not like in 10 to 20 years. All good points. Though I am quite sure he's not right on every point, he's worth checking out. He has now written a book (which I have not yet read) that lays out his case with more detail.

Soli Deo Gloria! Baruch Hashem!

No comments: